Sound of Music

My 11 yo daughter is at an age where she will only listen to songs that her peers listen to and approve of. At her age, she also assumes the previous generation can’t appreciate good music, i.e., the stuff her generation likes.

 

Which is why she was very surprised that I loved the song, Dance Monkey. She had inadvertently introduced me to that song when it played as the background music of a smartphone game she was playing…

 

The other day, she was watching a musical version of Cinderella. At one point, the prince breaks into song before the grand ball - it was the hit Queen song, Somebody to Love. My daughter was shocked that I not only liked it but that I even knew the words. “How do you know this song?”, she asked, “It’s too good for someone like you”. I tried pricking her balloon by telling her this was a 40 odd year-old song. “Imagine someone from your generation liking such an old song”, I sneered. Never one to back away from verbal jousting, she responded, “I am sure this is the remixed version – the one you know must be very boring”.

 

A short while later, the same movie had the wicked stepsister singing Madonna’s Material Girl. My daughter was clearing enjoying the song. Again, she was blown over by the fact that I knew the words. “Another 30 odd year-old song”, I smirked, “that you seem to be enjoying”. She was truly in shock by now – imagine her parents and her actually liking the same music. Strike while the iron is hot, they say, so I drove home my advantage, “You know, I have this song in the USB stick in the car, the one you insist doesn’t have a single song that you like (other than Dance Monkey)”.

 

Mic drop – I shall end on that triumphant note.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student of the Year

The Retort of the "Luxury Person"

Animal Senses #7: Touch and Remote Touch