Dumb Kids

It was that time of the year – the mid-year exams. As my 10 yo daughter drove us up a wall, I shuddered. Because it’s not just her: all the kids seem to be the same – they don’t know anything, but they’re all capable of arguing endlessly.

 

I remember this scene in the Amazon Prime spy series called The Family Man, where the teenaged daughter announces one day that she won’t go to school. I loved her mom’s response. Sure, don’t go. In fact, stop going to school altogether. It’s clear you are only going to end up as a maid anyway, so might as well start practicing at home from now itself. Oh wait, you don’t know any of that work either, do you? Let’s put you on an internship under Kanta bai…

 

At work, we find that the kids graduating out of college don’t know anything. Perhaps I shouldn’t curse those guys at office so much. The current generation doesn’t even look like it will get through college, assuming they can even get into college in the first place...

 

Which is why, when this kid downstairs got into BITS, I told my daughter to go make him her boyfriend. Marry him, I told her, he’s your only hope of having any money in life. She was horrified. No, not because she’s still at that age where boys are yuck. Rather, her problem was, “He’s almost 10 years older than me. That’s double my age. He’s too old…”

 

I guess that only leaves her, and most kids these days, with one way to have money when they grow up – what Calvin hoped for:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student of the Year

Animal Senses #7: Touch and Remote Touch

The Retort of the "Luxury Person"