Mobile Junkie

Almost everyone who has a smartphone is, what Jeremy Vandehey calls a “mobile junkie”:
“The phosphorescent glow left me mesmerized and needing more.”
Don't think you are a junkie? Then try the Vandehey test:
“When is the last time you powered down. All the way down. Not asleep. Not in airplane mode but ON | OFF. Try it with me now. Take your phone out, if you’re not already futzing with it, and turn it off...Fair warning, you will experience a short stint of anxiety and emptiness.”

But what's wrong with being a mobile junkie? After all:
“The reality is 95% of each day is boring, everyday life...We’ve trained ourselves to constantly seek refuge from boring, everyday life through our phones.”
True, but how about the other 5%? But first, consider what Calvin said when he viewed this spectacularly beautiful sunrise?

Now think of how we treat the same experience today?
“I ‘witnessed’ a beautiful sunset. As I was reminiscing over the dozens of photos I took, I barely had any recollection of ACTUALLY being there. I was so focused on eternalizing the moment through my phone, that I hadn’t taken the time to eternalize it in my brain.”
And isn’t it true that:
“We’ve grown so accustomed to this behavior that we can’t shut it out, even during truly exciting or beautiful times in our lives.”
Isn't it time, he asks that we:
“Take that moment in. Truly experience it. Not from behind a Sepia filter.”
Even when are having a conversation, this is typical of many people's “inner-dialogue” at the same time:
“I wonder what [friend who isn’t present] is doing? I hope the Badgers won (edit: they didn’t)? Did that dude from work ever email me back? How is the INTU stock doing today? Did I get any more Instagram Likes?”

Vandehey ends with a variant of the famous health advice:
“An Apple a day keeps the doctor away. An Apple every 20 seconds…well…that’s too many f**king Apples.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student of the Year

The Retort of the "Luxury Person"

Animal Senses #7: Touch and Remote Touch