Prove It!

When we jet-ski’ed during our recent holiday in Vizag, we didn’t expect our 6 year-old to do it. After all, it looks scary, and she’d have to do it without either of us with her (it would only be her and the guy driving the jet-ski).

And yet, she was persuaded to do it, not because she saw we had fun doing it, but because my wife dangled the carrot of bragging rights with her friends! So off she went. When she returned, I expected her to have that “I did it!” triumphant look and declaration. I could not have been more wrong.

Instead, this is what she had to say:
1)      “Did you get a snap of me riding it?” Because her friends wouldn’t believe she’d done it, unless there was a pic to prove it.
2)     “When we go back to Bangalore, you must come down with me. With your phone. So I can show the pics to my friends.” So she could brag.

I realized that she’s at that in-between age. Old enough to know that people lie about what they did. And young enough to think that pictures don’t lie. I wonder what she and her friends will do once they discover PhotoShop!

Ah, the problems of the social media generation…

Comments

  1. Interesting point in psychology! That seems to be way we are wired.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Student of the Year

Animal Senses #7: Touch and Remote Touch

The Retort of the "Luxury Person"