Notice Anything Wrong?

If you already know what the term “grammar Nazi” means, feel free to skip the rest of this paragraph.  Here is how Urban Dictionary defines it:
1)      “A person who believes proper grammar (and spelling) should be used by everyone whenever possible”;
2)     “One who uses proper grammar and spelling to subtly mock or deride those who do not; an exhibitor of grammatical superiority”.

Ok, now to the topic of the blog. As I mentioned some time back, my 6 year-old daughter has taken a liking to Calvin and Hobbes. Recently, I was reading her this strip where Calvin gets a Valentine card from Susie. Like all boys that age (and only that age), Calvin was horrified. Predictably then, Hobbes teased him:
I had to sing (yes, sing, not just read) Hobbes’ song to my kid. Again and again. And I felt exactly like Calvin’s dad from a different strip:

Finally, I switched off the light, tucked her in and waited for her to fall asleep. Just as I was getting up to leave, a half-asleep voice murmured:
“It should be ‘sitting on a tree’, not ‘sitting in a tree’”.
I had not noticed the mistake! Is my kid a grammar Nazi (shudder)? Or was it the recently taught prepositions from school? Or was it just that proverbial thought/insight that occurs right when you are about to fall asleep?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student of the Year

Animal Senses #7: Touch and Remote Touch

The Retort of the "Luxury Person"