How I Read


One of my aunts, an ex-journalist, recently asked me: “Which magazines and papers do you read?”

I struggled to name any particular papers or magazines that I read. I found that weird because I read a lot. Well, ok, I surf a lot (and read a lot as a result). In any case, I wondered why then was I struggling to answer her?

It struck me only later that there is such a huge impact that the Internet had made even on how I read! Here is how that happened. When I surf using the PC/laptop, I almost always go to aggregator sites like Google News and Freshnews.org (aggregator sites show the contents from multiple sites). If I find a headline (and the first two lines from the article) that I like at the aggregator site, I click and then read the entire article.

On my phone, I use equivalent apps like Flipboard and Pulse that work the same way: aggregators that I customize to display articles from sites/topics I like. Again, I click on what I like and read the article that I am forwarded to.

Only after my aunt asked that question did I realize that given the way I read (as described above), I have no idea as to which site the aggregator forwarded me to view the entire article!

Sure, I could look and start noticing the site names I am forwarded to but hey, this is the Internet. Who cares about (or can even remember) one among a zillion sites? Besides, if I want to find it later, there’s Google.

No wonder then that I couldn’t answer my aunt’s question…even though I read a lot! That question is so 20th century, so pre-Internet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student of the Year

Animal Senses #7: Touch and Remote Touch

The Retort of the "Luxury Person"