Principal's Office and Generational Gap in Songs

The other day, while we were watching this Indian spy series, The Family Man, there was this scene where the main character was called to the principal’s office at his daughter’s school. And like any parent in that situation, he was saying things like “My daughter is a very good girl” and “She’d never do something like that”. Hearing which, my 9 yo daughter snorted, “Hmmph… no parent would ever say such things about their child”.

 

Yes, kiddo, I can see why you would think that.

 

I told her that I’d say the same if her principal called me in. You’d think she’d be glad to hear that I would have her back, should the need arise. But no. “No need. I am a very well-behaved kid at school”. At least she had the honesty to say “at school”…

 

Another time, she wasn’t happy with the song being played in the car. So I changed it and asked if the newer one was acceptable to her Royal Highness. A simple Yes/No would have sufficed. Instead, she gave an exaggerated sigh and launched into a speech. “No wonder older people never look happy… you listen to such un-cheerful songs”. And “All your songs are so slow”. Followed by, “What? Don’t tell me you actually think that’s a fast beat?”. The closing remark? “Your songs are all so 1980’s”.

 

I guess at her age, the 1980’s are not far from the time when the dinosaurs ruled the earth. Then again, I used to feel the same way about the songs adults liked when I was a kid. Now I know what karma feels like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student of the Year

Animal Senses #7: Touch and Remote Touch

The Retort of the "Luxury Person"