To Bring (or not) Alexa Home


The other day, one of my colleagues was telling me that her 5 year-old daughter had figured that Alexa, Amazon’s voice based assistant, could help with do her homework:
“Alexa, what is 5 + 8?”

I took this as exactly the kind of reason why I wouldn’t want Alexa in the home. When I was narrating this to my wife, my 7 yo daughter hung onto the conversation and joined in:
She: “Can we get Alexa too? I won’t use it for my homework.”
Me: “Then why do you want it?”
She: “When my friends come home, I can ask it to play nice songs.”
Wow!
-          Who wants to use a clunky remote for the music system and then discover you don’t have that song you wanted to hear anyway?
-          Searching via YouTube and Google on a computer/phone doesn’t come so easy for 5 and 7 yo’s, but with Alexa, they just ask for what they want!

Kids take to Alexa like ducks to water. Like my colleague learnt from her 5 yo:
“Mummy, don’t say ‘Play’ to Alexa. The song will start from the beginning. Say ‘Resume’ instead.”
And my daughter knew that Alexa can get angry, thanks to her experiences at her friend’s place:
“If you tell Alexa that she is an idiot or dumb, her top will glow red in anger. Then she’ll sulk and won’t answer anything for a few minutes.”

The friction in the way we interact with computers has dropped tremendously over time: from punch cards to command-line to mouse clicks to touch to (now) voice. I realize (again) I’m old when I ask questions like why I’d need Alexa in the home? Or whether it would spoil the kid? The future is what Ben Thompson says:
“The reality isparticularly when it comes to consumer productsis that in the long run, convenience always wins… You can be doing whatever you want; you can say something like, “Set a timer five minutes,” or “What temperature should I grill my steak to?” And you’ll get an answer with your hands busy, and altogether it’s going to be a more convenient answer than it would’ve been otherwise.”
And it will only get better over time, and do more things for you. And about kids, I guess taking the Thompson view is the practical approach:
“I tend to adopt the “the kids are going to be okay” mindset. There’s going to be new things that arise about it, new mores… Once you accept that it’s here, the best thing we can do is to figure out how to manage it going forward instead of pining for a world that is long gone.”

Comments

  1. Well presented.

    As the conclusion says, "the kids are going to be okay" mindset is the right mindset. In that, if we plug in Wordsworth's famous line, "Child is the father of man", we can extrapolate to "the people are going to be okay with their attitude to adapt computers in life". :-)

    The blog writer might be knowing and maybe didn't consider it necessary to put this here. That is: Google is well advanced with its research to "communicate to the computer through hand gestures"! We humans read a lot in gestures. For example, if someone shrugs the shoulder, we conclude a resigned outlook etc. A time has come when, instead of even touching the screen, one can tell precisely all the requirements to the computers, through speech and hand gestures!

    Good that computers will turn into Alladin's genie one day, and that day is not too far. I pray that children do not demand that computers turn into real dinosaurs too, seeing our wish lists are answered satisfactorily! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Student of the Year

The Retort of the "Luxury Person"

Animal Senses #7: Touch and Remote Touch