It's Hype, not Reality


Remember this Calvin and Hobbes strip? Keep it in mind as you read this blog:

The other day, the William story I was reading to my 7 yo daughter has our hero becoming friends with a bunch of new kids, the kind his mother wouldn’t have approved of. The why behind that becomes obvious when those kids scornfully tell William that, unlike him, they don’t go to school because they go to work at the factory instead.

“So lucky, they don’t have to go to school”, I told my daughter. Like all kids who love live to contradict others on every topic under the sun, her response was:
“That’s not true. At school, one gets to make new friends. At school, one gets to learn new things. And at school, one gets to have fun.”

My jaw dropped. Which, of course, was her cue to land her punchline with a wide got-you grin on her face:
“Except at my school. None of those things are true about my school.”
Ok, kiddo, you got me there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student of the Year

The Retort of the "Luxury Person"

Animal Senses #7: Touch and Remote Touch