Sandwich and the Kid

Until a certain age, the usual meal time “conversation” with a kid will revolve around the fact that the kid doesn’t like/want to eat that dish. The problem’s never about the way the dish has been prepared on that day. At least that’s the way it seems to me so far (my daughter’s now 6).

Except when it comes to sandwiches. That’s the one “dish” on which kids are connoisseurs and authorities on. I learnt it the hard way when my wife travelled to Amsterdam and the kid decided to fall sick a day before she left. So I was left holding the (sick) baby…

I’d been told not to force her to eat while she was sick, except if it was necessary that she have something before she could be given medicines. So around breakfast time, I asked if she wanted to eat something? Bread, she replied. Ok, I said breathing a sigh of relief. Toasted, she added. No problem.

And then she had a look at the toast I got her. It’s not brown all over, she declared. Yes, it is. Not the right shade of brown. What is it with girls and colors?! I can’t put jam on this, she continued, it’ll just crumble. How hard is that, I thought irritably, and said I’d put the jam for her. As I started, Noooo, she screamed, you’re crushing the bread. Can’t you hold it gently? By the time we were done, I was annoyed and she had that “What good are you if you can’t even toast a bread slice properly” look.

I can only take solace in the fact that this seems to be how kids have been across ages and geographies when it comes to sandwiches:

Apparently, Subway knows how to make a sandwich that passes my daughter’s demanding standards. She simply loves their tuna sandwich. I guess that when it comes to sandwiches, she’s both Calvin-like and Hobbes-like.

Comments

  1. Very good. Calvin adds spice to any event - marvelous kid indeed!
    Children have better sensitivity in their senses and they speak straight. Adult world is a lesser world, it appears. Appreciating and enjoying children's ways is delightful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Student of the Year

Animal Senses #7: Touch and Remote Touch

The Retort of the "Luxury Person"